More updates coming in surrounding the tragic death of Shain Gandee, a cast member on the MTV series “Buckwild.”
Following the shocking news that the reality star was found dead along with two other men in his truck, the cause of death appears to be the result of carbon monoxide poisoning. Law enforcement officials say that the vehicle’s muffler was completely submerged under a mud pool.
“The vehicle sat unevenly, but upright, and was partially submerged in deep mud,” the Kanawha County Sheriff's Office told Us Weekly in a statement. “Mud was covering the lower part of the passenger side door of the vehicle, but the driver's side of the vehicle was above the mud. The muffler of the vehicle was completely below the surface of the mud.”
This theory is consistent with early assumptions by TMZ, which pointed to carbon monoxide poisoning as the culprit behind the bizarre and sad scenario. An official cause of death will be determined by Office of the Medical Examiner at a later date.
Along with Gandee, the two other men in the vehicle have been identified as Shain’s uncle David Gandee, 48, and Donald Robert Myers, 27.
As we previously reported, the three men had been missing since Sunday. They were last seen at a local bar at 3 a.m. that night, where it was mentioned that they were going mudding.
“I spoke with Shain’s father, who is devastated as you can imagine,” “Buckwild” producer J.P. Williams told The Hollywood Reporter. “But he said something that I thought was pretty profound, which is that his son died doing what he loved to do.”
On the cusp of its second season's production schedule, the cast, along with its staff, is currently coping with the tragedy and has suspended production on the TV show.