I’m sure you saw the VMA’s last night and I’m sure when Tyler, The Creator accepted the award for Best New Artist you were probably thinking “who the f-ck is Tyler The Creator?”
Other than being that kid who wore a cat shirt to the VMA’s, Tyler is the foul mouthed rap wunderkid who’s come to steal Kanye West’s job.
1) Tyler is the front man of rap group Off Future. What is a rap group you say? It’s like a bunch of kids from LA who hang out together, skate together and rap together. Tyler is their ringleader. He’s kind of like what Lil Wayne is to Cash Money. If that still doesn’t make sense to you, I don’t know any other way to describe it.
2) He hates Bruno Mars. During the VMA pre-show Tyler said that if Bruno Mars wins, Tyler said, “I might kill myself.” That’s one way to win a VMA. Then after Mars’ awesome tribute to Amy Winehouse, Tyler said, “He put on a good performance. But I still hate his f-cking music.” Ironically, the song “Yonkers” that Tyler won the best new artist award for has a line in the track where Tyler raps about how he wants to kill Mars. What kind of MTV West Side Story nonsense is this? I would quote the line but it’s a little bit NSFW.
3) He’s cray cray. The first time I saw his video for “Yonkers” I spit up in my mouth a little bit. Tyler directed the video and it features him eating a cockroach, vomiting it up, taking off his shirt and then hanging himself. And that is the entire video for “Yonkers,” and that won best new artist.
4) He’s only 20 years old but is already kind of a diva. After his VMA win he went to do a post award interview, but instead of giving the answers himself he whispered the lines into his groupmates ear and had him act as his mouthpiece. When asked if he was upset that he didn’t win the award for Video of The Year, he whispered into his friend Jasper Dolphins’s ear and Jasper said, “I justed wanted one, I’m fine. I like cheese.” I can’t tell if this is so diva or some over-our-heads commentary on celebrity behavior?
5) He very expletive. Did anyone watching his VMA acceptance speech even know what he was saying? It had more bleeping than a typical episode of Jerry Springer. In his 15 second acceptance speech he has like 10 words bleeped out. Also, his twitter handle is @f-ckTyler, so interpret that how you will.