Report: 'Hunger Games' Director Backs Out Of Sequel

April 6, 2012 By:
Report: 'Hunger Games' Director Backs Out Of Sequel
Gary Ross is the man behind a little movie you might have heard of-- ‘The Hunger Games.’ And while ‘The Hunger Games’ broke box office records and has already raked in a whopping $377 million worldwide, Ross will only get a five-percent cut of the backend in addition to the $3 million he's already made.

Ross reportedly wanted a significant raise for the second film, ‘Catching Fire,’ which he said he was “looking forward to” earlier this year.

He told Moviefone: "Simon Beaufoy ['Slumdog Millionaire'], who's a writer I've been a fan of for a long, long time, is doing the script. I can't write the 'Catching Fire' script right now because I'm finishing ['Hunger Games'], and we're on a schedule where the script has to get written right now. So I'm unbelievably fortunate that someone like Simon is going to be writing the script. That's a thrill. He's somebody that I respect and I just love his work."

But now, according to blog The Playlist, Ross has decided against directing ‘Catching Fire.’ Rumor is that negotiations between Ross and Lionsgate didn’t go so well. But The Playlist says the money is just a small part of his decision to move on. They report:

“Ross has never been a filmmaker that repeats himself (going from satire in ‘Pleasantville’ to horse racing drama in ‘Seabiscuit’ and action in ‘The Hunger Games’).”

Meanwhile, Lionsgate and Fox have worked out their scheduling to allow ‘The Hunger Games’ star, Jennifer Lawrence, film ‘Catching Fire’ and the ‘X-Men: First Class’ sequel back to back.