Following the release of her album Red, it was kind of easy to hate on Taylor Swift. It wasn’t just her string of ex-boyfriends and drawing on her past relationships for her music (after all, that’s called being an artist and songwriting), but her willingness to talk about her exes with press made her an easy target. It was enough to be turned off by “Taylor the Person,” while still listening to and appreciating “Taylor the Singer.” It just made separating the art from the artist all the more manageable.
Then, as your heart sat in the pit of your ribs, heavier and chillier than all of Antarctica, Taylor did something. Something that warmed all feeling back into your soul and made you a fan again.
1. Like this sincere advice she gave a fan that asked her about dating on Instagram.
To user @sherbetswift (real name Hannah, pictured above), Taylor responded:
“Hannah. Eyes, eyes, eyes. Woah. You have the prettiest, widest, most child like eyes. (Composes herself) Okay. About this guy. I think we grow up thinking the only love that counts as true love is the kind that lasts forever or is fully realized. When you have a broken heart, the first thing a stranger will ask is ‘how long were you two together?’ As if your pain can be determined by how long you were with someone. Or if you were with them at all. I don’t think that’s how it works. I think unrequited love is just as valid as any other kind. It’s just as crushing and just as thrilling. No matter what happens in this situation, I want you to remember that what you are doing is selfless and beautiful and kind. You are loving someone purely because you love them, not because you think you’ll ever have your affections reciprocated. You are admiring something for its beauty, without needing to own it. Feel good about being the kind of person who loves selflessly. I think someday you’ll find someone who loves you in that exact same way.”
2. Or when she visited this hospital patient and posed with the cutest sign and it let some light into your hating heart.
3. When she crafted this Drake needlepoint.
4. And when she referenced Kanye West with some homemade jam and it cracked the icy surface of your heart.
5. Her big group of friends can vouch for her in ways that make you question your own haterade.
Family portrait. pic.twitter.com/fPGZGCogzW
— Taylor Swift (@taylorswift13) July 6, 2014
Karlie Kloss and Lena Dunham are just two of her many gal pals who sing the praises of their friend, Taylor.
6. Then there was that time she was “Punk’d” into believing she sank a ship where a wedding was taking place and it made her all the more endearing.
7. Then there’s her cat Meredith, who is just PRECIOUS.
8. And her new kitten Olivia Benson.
Yup. Named after THE “Law & Order” Olivia Benson. *a hater’s heart melts*
9. Here she is finding the time in her busy schedule to surprise a fan at her bridal shower.
10. And also finding more time to surprise fans in busy Central Park, forever warming your heart.
While going for a walk, a group of fans on a boat noticed her and asked if they could get a picture. Taylor was more than happy to oblige.