This is something of a backhanded compliment, Forbes rounded up their annual list of the “Most Overpaid Actors in Hollywood” and Eddie Murphy took the top honor.
After calculating how profitable each star’s last three films were per dollar, here’s how it all breaks down...
1. Eddie Murphy – After a string of flops—Imagine That, A Thousand Words, and Meet Dave—Eddie’s return on investment sank to a dismal figure. For every $1 Eddie earns, he returns an average of $2.30 at the box office.
2. Katherine Heigl – For every $1 Katherine’s paid, she returns $3.40. After climbing the romantic comedy marquee and carrying a couple strong films, Katherine’s star has been slipping. Her most recent picture, the lackluster One for the Money, made a total of $37 million.
3. Reese Witherspoon – For every $1 she's paid, Reese returns $3.90. The Oscar winner’s little-known film, How Do You Know, wasn’t worth the $120 million it cost to make. It only grossed $50 million at the GLOBAL box office.
4. Sandra Bullock – For every $1 she's paid, she returns $5. Remember All About Steve? Panned by critics and flopping so hard at the box office, it overshadowed other films she was in like Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.
5. Jack Black – For every $1 he's paid, he returns $5.20. Jack’s animated movies are generally successes, but his live-action projects? Not so much. His film The Big Year earned just $7 million on a $40 million budget. Ouch.
6. Nicolas Cage – For every $1 he's paid, Nicolas returns $6. We'll chalk this up to oversaturation. The actor stars in so many films, it could be a consequence of quantity over quality. Of the 10 movies he starred in the past three years, most didn’t perform so well.
7. Adam Sandler – For every $1 he's paid, Adam returns $6.30. Still asking for $20 million per film begins to look like a lot to ask when your last film was Jack and Jill.
8. Denzel Washington – For every $1 he's paid, Denzel returns $6.30. You might be surprised to find Denzel on this list, and that’s because his reasons are an exception to most. His films perform consistently well in comparison, he just demands a huge paycheck that outweighs his returns.
9. Ben Stiller – For every $1 he's paid, Ben returns $6.50. Ben's films don’t generally flop; he just commands an outsized paycheck in comparison to the films' budget/profits.
10. Sarah Jessica Parker – For every $1 she's paid, Sarah returns $7. SJP brings in big numbers when playing her small screen persona Carrie Bradshaw, but in anything else she’s overpaid.