Salma Hayek. biography
Salma Hayek Jiménez was born on September 2, 1966, in Veracruz, Mexico where she briefly studied at a Mexico City university. After dropping out, she ventured into the world of acting, later becoming a soap opera.
Salma got her start when she moved to Los Angeles in 1991, landing her first substantial role opposite Antonio Banderas in Desperado (1995).
A string of box office failures soon followed, including From Dusk Till Dawn (1996) with George Clooney, prior to transitioning to the comedy genre in Fools Rush In (1997), Wild Wild West (1999) and Dogma (1999).
Salma eventually got the attention of Hollywood with her accurate portrayal of Frida Kahlo in the biopic Frida (2002), a performance that resulted in her first Oscar and Golden Globe nomination for Best Actress.
The film’s success, however, didn’t stop Salma from returning to such box office misses as Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003), After Sunset (2004) and Bandidas (2006).
Between 2009 and 2013, Salma appeared alongside some of Hollywood’s most well-known actors, including Alec Baldwin in 30 Rock (2009-2013), Adam Sandler in Grown Ups (2010), Benicio Del Toro in Savages (2012) and Kevin James in Grown Ups 2 (2013).
Salma’s most recent projects include, Muppets Wanted (2014), The Prophet (2014) and Everly (2014).
Salma Hayek Husband, Boyfriend & Dating History Timeline
1999 – 2003
After being introduced by both of their chiropractor, Salma and Edward Norton briefly dated.
1999 – 1999
Dating rumors surrounding Ben Affleck and Salma began popping up soon after the two co-starred in Dogma (1999), but it was never confirmed.
August 2003 – July 2004
Salma briefly dated Josh Lucas, though it never worked out.
2004 – 2004
Salma’s sexy on-camera romance in Ask the Dusk was said to have transitioned off-stage. Those speculations were later confirmed when they were spotted making out at the Golden Globes in January 2009.
March 2007 – February 2009
Salma and French billionaire Francois-Henri Pinault got engaged in March 2007 and went on to welcome their daughter Valentina Paloma Pinault on September 21, 2007.
After calling off their engagement in July 2008, the two got back together and tied the knot on Valentine’s Day 2009, in Paris.
Did You Know…
- Salma was ranked #18 in FHM's 100 Sexiest Women in the World of 2007.
- Salma started her smoking habit on the set of the movie Frida, to have a better understanding of her character and got hooked. She quit smoking when she discovered she was pregnant. She also decided that she should gain some weight to look a little bit "meaty” for her role. She hasn't been able to lose all of it.
- When Salma was younger, the nuns asked her not to come back to her Catholic boarding school, because she hired a maid to clean her room.
- She has her own production company, Ventanarosa.
- Salma did gymnastics when she was a child.
- Salma has appeared in magazine ads for GAP clothing. Salma has appeared in magazines ads for Revlon cosmetics.
- Salma received an Oscar nomination for Frida.
- Salma is able to speak in English, Arabic, Spanish, and Portuguese.
- Salma is Hollywood's highest paid Latina actress at $20 million in contracts.