On April 29, the eyes of England, and those all across the globe, will be fixed on the biggest royal wedding since the 1980s. In America, Betty Crocker has helped brides for generations through its cookbooks, cake mixes and do-it-yourself cake recipes.
If you're not one of the 1900 lucky guests to score an invite to the royal wedding, you can always host your own party!
Royal by nature, blue is the perfect color for this wedding. This design takes inspiration from the heirloom sapphire ring, as well as peacock feathers and the feathered “fascinator” hats favored by the future Royal.
Inside, this “peek-a-blue” cake features layers of Royal Blue Velvet Cake, a new spin on popular Red Velvet Cake!
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® white cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons royal blue paste food color
- 1 toothpickful violet paste food color
- 1 jar (7 oz) marshmallow creme
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 325°F. Grease bottom and sides of three 8-inch round cake pans with shortening and lightly flour, or spray with baking spray with flour.
- In large bowl, beat all cake ingredients with electric mixer on low speed about 30 seconds or until moistened. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Divide batter evenly among pans. Bake 23 to 28 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched in center. Cool 15 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.
- In large microwavable bowl, microwave marshmallow creme uncovered on High 15 to 20 seconds to soften. Add butter. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar and salt until smooth.
- If necessary, trim rounded tops of two cake layers to flatten before assembling. Place 1 cake layer, top side down, on serving plate; spread with about 1/3 cup frosting. Top with second layer, top side down; spread with about 1/3 cup frosting. Top with untrimmed cake layer, top side up. Frost side and top of cake with remaining frosting.
- Lime wedge
- Coarse sugar or granulated sugar
- Ice cubes
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice cocktail
- 2 tablespoons (1 oz) citron vodka or vodka
- 2 tablespoons (1 oz) blue curacao
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Moisten rim of chilled martini glass with lime wedge. Sprinkle sugar onto small plate, and dip moistened rim into the sugar to coat lightly.
- Fill cocktail shaker with ice. Add cranberry juice, vodka, curacao and lime juice; cover and shake. Strain into martini glass.