For some reason, the movie industry feels the NEED to put out movies about Christmas at Christmastime. It’s probably the reason why so many holiday movies suck.
However, littered amongst The Holiday and Madea’s Christmas House (or whatever it’s called) are some true holiday gems.
Here are the BEST and the WORST Holiday movies:
1. Jack Frost: Jack Frost is a movie about a dad who dies at Christmas and comes back to life AS A SNOWMAN. This sh*t is not heartwarming. It’s effing scary!
2. Four Christmases: Four Christmases stars Reese Witherspoon and Vince Vaughn, who have very little chemistry and spend an entire movie lying to their families. It’s a holiday downer, for sure.
3. Home Alone 2, 3, 4 and 5: Anything other than the original Home Alone just sucks. The second Home Alone where Kevin is lost in NY is alright. The third one doesn’t even star Macaulay Culkin. The fourth movie went straight to TV! And the fifth sequel features a haunted house…at Christmastime! Err, byeeeee.
4. Christmas with the Kranks: This film has a 5% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. So, let that sink in.
5. Bad Santa: Unless you like thievery and conmen in your holiday hits, this is a holiday movie DUD.
6. Reindeer Games: Whoever thought a Christmastime thriller was going to be a hit is an idiot. The only thing that qualifies this as a holiday movie is when Ben Affleck robs a casino dressed as Santa.
7. The Santa Clause: This movie is great because what’s better than having Santa for a dad? Also, Tim Allen’s smarmy brand of humor was perfect for this role. Also, divorce. This is one of the first movies that made divorce seem not awful.
8. Elf: There’s nothing weirder or more perfect than a grown man dressed as an elf looking for his dad. Will Ferrell has never been better.
9. Home Alone: Screw all those other Home Alone sequels - it’s all about the original. A little kid gets left at home over the holidays and gets to order all the pizza he wants! Oh yah, and thwart some robbers.
10. Love Actually: This movie actually makes you believe in love. Truly though, it does.
11. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation: All those other National Lampoon movies are trash except for the Christmas one. It makes your family seem completely well-adjusted by comparison and that’s a great thing.