It’s that time of the year, The 2012 MTV Movie Awards are upon us! Will “Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 1” go home with the award for Best Kiss? How many nominations did “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2” pick up this year? And also, how many awards are we giving to Emma Stone? Like, so many, I hope.
In honor of its 8 nominations, here are the 5 things you didn’t know about MTV Movie Award nominee “The Hunger Games.”
In case you blacked out for the past year, here’s a quick synopsis of The Hunger Games: The flick is part one in a trilogy book series. It takes place in a far off future dystopia and stars Katniss Everdeen, played by Jennifer Lawrence, and Peeta Mellark, played by Josh Hutcherson, who both fight off 22 other kids to the death to be crowned victors of the Hunger Games.
1) Jennifer Lawrence won the role from a roster of other A-Lister actresses. The production was considering Shailene Woodley, Hailee Steinfeld, Abigail Breslin, Emma Roberts, and Chloe Moretz. Lawrence wowed the director who said, “I’d never seen an audition like that before in my life!”
2) Before Woody Harrelson was perfectly cast as the alcoholic and washed up Haymitch Abernathy, John C. Riley was in talks with the studio to take on the role.
3) Because of the nature of the film, when the studio went to get insurance for the production, the risk analysis included bizarre and diverse items like wayward arrows, poison ivy, bears, bugs, and a chase across fast-running water.
4) When The Hunger Games was released on March 23, 2012 it did so well at the box office that it had the largest worldwide opening weekend for a movie not released during the summer or over a Holiday weekend, earning $211.8 million just that first weekend. According to Fandango, it was also the third highest advance ticket seller. Third only to Twilight and Harry Potter.
5) Jennifer Lawrence got a lot of flack for being “too curvy” to play the films lead. In the book, Katniss Everdeen is poor and can't afford to eat, so many blogger types complained that Lawrence looked too curvy and womanly. That being said, nobody complained that Liam Hemsworth’s character was too ripped, even though his character is also supposed to be starving.