Celebrity divorces don’t come cheap, especially when one of them is worth almost a billion dollars. As news broke that actor Mel Gibson’s wife Robyn has filed for divorce after 28 years of marriage, many were left wondering what was at stake.
Mel Gibson is reportedly worth almost $950 million dollars, and since the couple never signed a prenup, Robyn could be entitled to half his fortune, which would potentially lead to the biggest divorce settlement in history!
Madonna's split from Guy Ritchie was the last celebrity divorce to raise eyebrows, as he was reportedly granted $76 million, but that's chump change compared to what Mel may have to cough up in his settlement.
While Madonna’s split with her hubby of eight years was a costly one, there are a number of stars that paid a whole lot more in their settlements:
10. Michael Douglas’s marriage to Diandra Douglas ended in 2000 after 23 years in marriage when Diandra walked away with $45 million.
9. In 2008 Phil Collins’ had to pay Orianne Cevey, a Swiss-born woman 22 years his junior $46.76 million. The couple was married for six years and has two children.
7. “Titanic” director James Cameron, had to pay his wife of two years Linda Hamilton, $50 million for their divorce settlement. $25 million for each year of marriage? Sounds like Linda got a boat load of money for nothing.
6. Madonna’s split with Guy Ritchie cost her $76 million dollars, which only puts her in the number six position on this list, but at the time her rep called it "one of the largest payouts ever in a divorce settlement.”
5. After 16 years of marriage Kevin Coster and Cindy Silva split leaving Silva with $80 million.
4. Harrison Ford spent the 1980s and 1990s with wife Melissa Mathison, but the couple decided to call it quit after 21 years together in 2004. Mathison walked away with $85 million, plus future royalties on two Star Wars films and three Indiana Jones movies.
3. Although Steven Spielberg had a prenup with his wife of four years Amy Irving, she still walked away with a cool $100 million. Now that's a good lawyer!
2. Neil Diamond spent 27 years with his wife Marcia Murphey before handing her $150 million dollars for their divorce. That's roughly $5.5 million for each year they were together.
1. According to both USA Today and Forbes, Michael Jordan made the largest payout ever in a celebrity divorce when he handed his wife of 18 years, Juanita, $168 million dollars back in 2007.