Leonardo DiCaprio has reached a point in his life where he can be increasingly selective with the roles he chooses and how to live his personal life. But had he made alternative decisions along the way, or perhaps fate chose a different path, his life could've been completely different.
1. He could’ve been Max Dennison in Hocus Pocus.
According to his latest interview in Variety, Leo turned down the role in the Disney Halloween classic. At the time it would’ve been the largest paycheck he’d ever received, but he wanted to see if he’d be cast in What’s Eating Gilbert Grape?
2. He almost changed his name to Lenny Williams.
His agent in the ‘90s thought he needed a more “American-friendly stage name,” but Leo refused.
3. He was almost the lead in Moulin Rouge!
But director Baz Luhrmann turned Leo down because of his singing voice, per that same interview.
4. He and Baz were supposed to team up instead for an Alexander the Great biopic.
The film would have starred Leo. But it was a doomed project that never found it’s way to production after Oliver Stone released his lackluster version. The two eventually got to work together again on The Great Gatsby.
5. In the late ‘90s, Playgirl planned to publish naked, full-frontal photos of the actor.
But he sued them before the magazine got the chance to.
6. He was almost stabbed in the neck in 2005.
In June 2005, Leo filed charges after he was attacked by an animal rights activist with a bottle when exiting a nightclub. He was cut on the neck dangerously close to his jugular vein.
7. He almost played Patrick Bateman in American Psycho.
The studio for the film originally announced Leo had the role, but the film’s director Mary Harron resisted, feeling he was way too famous and boy-ish for the controversial film.
8. He “adopted” a South African baby girl, but she lives in South Africa.
While filming Blood Diamond, Leonardo met a girl in a South African orphanage. He sends her a check monthly and follows her progress with regular phone calls to see how she’s doing.
9. The role of Anakin Skywalker almost went to him.
Leo was considered for the role of the young Jedi master for Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, but it went to Hayden Christensen instead.
10. He could’ve filmed X-rated sex scenes with Eva Green.
Leo was in talks to star in the explicit NC-17 drama The Dreamers, but he turned it down because he felt he was too old to play a 20-year-old student. He was pushing 30 at the time.
11. He was almost attacked by a great white shark.
On "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" Leo recounted surviving his encounter with one of nature’s largest predators.