Last year’s laugh-out-loud lady comedy “Bridesmaids” has been nominated for both an Oscar and a Golden Globe. The flick now has eight 2012 MTV Movie Awards nominations. These funny ladies have created the Martin Scorsese drinking game and surprised us with their R-rated laughs and red carpet glamour.
In honor of the films 8 MTV Movie Award nominations, here are five fun facts you might not have known about the film!
1. If you remember the scene in the jewelry store, a couple comes in to buy an engagement ring from Kristen Wiig’s character. During the ending credits, those two actors are not credited as “Jewelry Store Couple” but rather, they are listed as “Jersey Shore Couple.” Call it a coincidence or was Kristen Wiig predicting the future!?
2. When Bridesmaids opened on May 13, 2011 it grossed $288 million worldwide, making it the top-grossing Judd Apatow production to date. It made more than Apatow’s then reigning blockbuster “Knocked Up.” It’s also the highest grossing R-rated female comedy of ALL TIME. It made more money than “Sex and the City.”
3. Kristen Wiig wrote the film with her longtime writing partner Annie Mumolo. The two ladies met one another in the early 2000’s where they were performers at The Groundlings in LA. The Groundlings is the same sketch theater that launched the careers of Jimmy Fallon, Kathy Griffin, Will Ferrell, Conan O’Brien, and the rest of the “Bridesmaids” cast Wendi McLendon-Covey, Mellissa McCarthy, and Maya Rudolph.
4. This trivia makes for one interesting high-school reunion! “Mad Men” star Jon Hamm has a small role in “Bridesmaids” as Kristen Wiig’s douchey pseudo boyfriend, but before Jon moved to Hollywood he was teaching high-school drama classes in Missouri. Oddly enough, one of his acting students was Ellie Kemper, who plays Becca in the flick.
5. The house that Jon Hamm’s character lives in, and the same one that Kristen Wiig gets stuck on it’s garage door, is the same house exterior used as Kelly Taylor’s home in “Beverly Hills, 90210.”