Keanu Reeves. biography
Keanu Charles Reeves was born on September 2, 1964, in Beirut, Lebanon, to Patricia Taylor, a showgirl, and Samuel Nowlin Reeves, a geologist.
Raised in Toronto, Canada as a teenager, Keanu Reeves strayed away from academics when he discovered his love for hockey and drama. He ultimately dropped out of school to pursue an acting career, which resulted in a supporting role in the hockey flick Youngblood (1986) with Rob Lowe. Once the film wrapped, Reeves moved to Hollywood to further his career.
Reeves first gained Hollywood’s attention with his performance in the dark drama River’s Edge (1986), followed by a supporting role in the Oscar-nominated film Dangerous Liaisons (1988) with director Stephen Frears. His rise to fame came with his performance as Ted Logan, a totally awesome dude, in the hit classic Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure (1989). Although many associated his character with his normal demeanor, Reeve’s separated from the chill-ax character and landed a role in Ron Howard’s comedy Parenthood (1989) and Lawrence Kasdan’s I Love You to Death (1990).
Refusing to be typecast, Reeves strived for roles with character depth, which led him to the role of a rich kid with a knack for slumming, opposite River Phoenix in My Own Private Idaho (1991). He then played an unfortunate lawyer who discovers a vampire’s lair in Dracula (1992) and the downer Don John in Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing (1993).
In 1994, Reeves’ career transitioned from a well-known actor to a big celebrity star following the release of the big budget film Speed alongside Sandra Bullock. Over the next five years, Reeves dabbled in many projects, including Feeling Minnesota (1996), The Last Time I Committed Suicide (1997), A Walk in the Clouds (1995) and The Devil’s Advocate (1997). Although he rejected the chance at starring in the Speed sequel, Reeves earned his greatest role to date as “The One” in Wachowski siblings’ science fiction adventure trilogy The Matrix (1999 – 2003).
Reeves’ role as a big budget star continued with appearances in The Replacements (2000), The Watcher (2000), The Gift (2000), romantic comedy Sweet November (2001) and Hard Ball (2001). His most recent successes include the romantic comedy Something’s Gotta Give (2003) with Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton, The Lake House (2006) with Sandra Bullock, and Street Kings (2008). His most critically acclaimed performances came later with the premier of Costantine (2005), A Scanner Darkly (2006) and The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008).
Reeve's most recent projects include, the drama Generation Um... (2012), the samurai drama 47 Ronin (2013), the action flick Man of Tai Chi (2013), which he also directs, and the adventure Passengers (unknown release date) with Reese Witherspoon.
Keanu Reeves Girlfriend, Boyfriend & Dating History Timeline
1999 – 2000
Reeves and Jennifer Syme dated and later had a stillborn daughter. Following the death of their daughter, the two split up but they remained very close. In 2001, Jennifer died in a car accident.
Rumors that Reeves and China Chow started flying when the two were spotted swimming together in France. However, the romance was never confirmed.
2004 - 2004
Reeves and actor Alan Cumming were rumored to have married in front of a small group of friends. Speculation surrounding Reeve’s sexuality has always been in question, although many say he’s straight. Cumming later adamantly denied the marriage rumor.
2008 – 2008
Reeves and Parker Posey were rumored to be dating in 2008, but it was never confirmed by either of the two.
2009 – 2010
Rumors of a romance between Reeves and Sweet November co-star Charlize Theron began after The Sun reported the two were kissing in California.
In Italy, Reeves and Roger Garth’s rumored relationship is for real, after the two were spotted walking the streets of Rome on more than one occasion. According to sources, the affair started after the two met in Los Angeles.
Is Keanu Reeves Gay?
Rumors that Keanu Reeves is gay ignited back in 1984, when he starred in Wolfboy, a cult classic in the gay community. His character is sensually bitten on the neck by co-star Carl Marotte in the role of a prostitute. When photos of the two kissing and touching each other surfaced, the rumors strengthened.
In 1995, Reeves was linked to David Geffen, who admittedly denied the rumor.
In 2004, rumors began that Reeves and X-2 star Alan Cummings had married in Massachusetts. Reportedly, the two had been dating for a while but in 2005, Cummings shot down the rumors.
Reeves’ sexuality has always been up in the air, due to his reluctance to speak on the subject. In a 1990 interview with Interview magazine, Reeves had this to say about the rumor, “…ya never know.”
Did You Know . . .
- Sisters are Karina and Kim.
- Named after his great, great-uncle.
- His stepfather, Paul Aaron is a film and stage Director.
- His father is part Chinese part Hawaiian and his mother is English.
- Father left the family when he was very young.
- His father was a geologist. Served time in prison; paroled after serving two years of a 10-year sentence for selling heroin at Hilo Airport in 1992.
- His mother, Patricia Taylor (I), was a costume designer for rock stars such as Alice Cooper.
- His father remarried twice and had a daughter, who lives in Honolulu and is aged 21 (April, 2001), but Keanu has no contact with her.
- Around Christmas 1999, the baby girl he was expecting with girlfriend Jennifer Syme was stillborn, just a few weeks shy of the actual delivery date. They had planned to name her Eva Archer Syme Reeves.
- On April 2, 2001, His estranged girlfriend Jennifer Syme was killed when her Jeep Cherokee careened onto the wrong side of a Los Angeles road near Highway 101 and smashed into three parked cars. The force of the crash flipped the car over and she was thrown through the windshield. She was killed instantly.
- He got his abdominal scar from a motorcycle wreck in Topanga Canyon. He was on a “demon ride” (no headlights at night) when he crashed into the side of a mountain. He was hospitalized for a week with broken ribs and a ruptured spleen. When the paramedics came to get him, an emergency medical technician trainee picked up one end of the stretcher … then dropped it by mistake! “It made me laugh, but I couldn’t breathe!”
- Loves Ballroom dancing.
- Is afraid of the dark.
- Loves to play ice hockey (goalie position).
- His 1974 850cc Norton Combat Commando motorcycle is among his most prized possessions.
- Likes jazz music.
- Chosen by “People” magazine as one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world. (1995)
- Ranked #23 in Empire (UK) magazine’s “The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time” list. (October 1997)
- Chosen #17 by Empire magazine as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history. (1995)
- Considered one of the 25 sexiest men in entertainment according to the poll made by E! (November 4, 2011)
- Voted as the Hollywood male star most wanted to be on a desert island with (USA) and came second place in Argentina, Venezuela, England, France, Brazil and China. (November 11, 2001)
- Ranked #66 on Film Four channel’s best 100 film actors of all times (December 17, 2001)
- Arrested in Los Angeles for drunk driving in May 1993.
- Hada job sharpening ice skates.
- Was nicknamed “the wall” by La Salle High School hockey team.
- Is left-handed.
- Use to play bass guitar for the bands Dogstar and Becky.
- Was manager of a pasta shop in Toronto.
- Dropped out of high school when he was 17 to become an actor.
- Hobbies include horseback riding and surfing (both inspired from movie roles).
- Was MVP on his high school hockey team, where he was a goalie.
- When trying out for the parts of Bill and Ted, each actor was paired up with another. Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter were paired up, Reeves trying out for the part of Bill while Winter tried out for the part of Ted. They were cast opposite what they auditioned for.
- Maintains Canadian citizenship and passport.
- Admits that always reads reviews, he can’t avoid it.