In a world filled with ugly breakups, it’s hard to realize some of them can be pretty. Ok, maybe not pretty, but less ugly than others.
Some couples just work better as friends than lovers. It takes a big person to overcome anger, resentment, and frustration and get to a place where you can look your ex in the eye without telling them how stupid they are.
It’s especially difficult in Hollywood, a town where tabloids pit people against each other just for sheer entertainment.
But a handful of celebs have made it happen. Here are five celebrity couples and how they’ve managed to stay friends.
1. David Arquette and Courteney Cox: Keep an open mind. Since separating, David has had an affair with a cocktail waitress, which Courteney asserts was within the realm of their agreement.
It takes a seriously open mind to allow your husband to sleep with other women. And Courteney still thinks he’s ‘really cute’.
Most of us wouldn’t find that kind of behavior very adorable. But I guess when you’re trying to keep a friendship, you have to see your estranged as more than your lover.
Oh, and you have to be cool with them talking about your sex life publically, too.
2. Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz: Value your friendship, not just your relationship. Most young stars are quick to lash out after breaking up, but so far, Ashlee and Pete are being so amicable, they might as well have just stayed together.
The two were recently seen grabbing coffee together, with Pete’s arm around his newly ex-wife.
“Ashlee’s been my best friend for five years,” Wentz said. “I have nothing but love and respect for her.”
3. Justin Timberlake and Cameron Diaz: Move on. And on, and on… Justin and Cameron are reheating their old flame on the series Bad Teacher, in which Diaz says Justin is “hilarious.”
Not only have they both moved on enough to be friends, they’re able to revisit the subject of romance. Cameron seems pretty secure in her relationship with A.Rod, and Justin has been through so many women since their split, I hardly remembered he even dated Cameron in the first place.
A sure-fire way to get rid of feelings for someone? Move on to the next person. Or in Justin’s case, the next five.
4. Bruce Willis and Demi Moore i: Share something together. Like kids. Bruce and Demi were married for eleven years, which, in Hollywood is nearly a lifetime.
That marriage produced three beautiful children, who kept the two so connected that, after splitting in 2000, a mere five years later, Willis was the best man at Demi’s second wedding.
Most couples are able to remain friends mostly because they share children. It takes a lot to get over your differences, but kids will make you more grown up than you ever thought possible.
5. Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe : Realize Your Mistakes. Reese recently admitted her and Ryan got married way too young.
She doesn’t put all the blame on him or herself, but rather gives a diplomatic, non-finger pointing explanation.
Ryan said of their friendship: “We go to all the school events together and are there for each other.” Reese recently remarried, and we’re wishing them the best. Sometimes it takes learning from the mistakes of our youth to make for a better future. Damn…that was good.
In short, it seems like it takes a lot of strength and integrity to forgive, forget and stay friends with your ex. There had to be something there that drew them to you in the first place. When you can pick that out, and learn to let go of the rest, it’s a beautiful thing. It’s refreshing to swallow your pride, allow yourself to grow as a person, and still be able to see the endearing qualities in your exes.
But, of course, some of them are just dumbasses.