Big strides were taken this year with stars from several industries—film, music, TV, and sports—coming out as gay or bisexual.
These were the ten celebrities who made the largest impact...
1. Tom Daley – The most recent high-profile coming out was from the Olympian diver. In a YouTube confessional, the 19-year-old revealed his bisexuality and that he is in a loving relationship. It was later revealed that his boyfriend is Dustin Lance Black, the Academy Award-winning screenwriter of Milk.
2. Wentworth Miller – The former “Prison Break” star publicly came out in order to take a stand against Russia and its anti-gay laws after a film festival invited him to attend in St. Petersburg.
“Thank you for your kind invitation,” he responded. “As someone who has enjoyed visiting Russia in the past and can also claim a degree of Russian ancestry, it would make me happy to say yes. However, as a gay man, I must decline. I am deeply troubled by the current attitude toward and treatment of gay men and women by the Russian government.”
3. Maria Bello – In a beautiful op-ed in the New York Times, Maria came out as bisexual and let readers into the dynamics of her family.
4. Raven-Symoné – Raven-Symoné, who never really kept her sexual orientation a secret from loved ones, came out as a lesbian following the legalization of gay marriage in California. She tweeted, “I can finally get married! Yay government. So proud of you.”
5. Jason Collins – NBA center Jason Collins made history as the first openly gay male athlete playing in a major team sport when he came out in April 2013.
6. Jodie Foster – Never engaging the gay rumors for years, Jodie finally “came out” so to speak during a Golden Globes speech where she playfully (and confusingly) discussed her desire for privacy.
7. Clive Davis – In February 2013, Clive Davis came out as bisexual in his new memoir, The Soundtrack of My Life, which shared insider stories of his life in the recording industry.
8. Charice – This past June, Charice came out as a lesbian during an interview in the Philippines in a brave move that went against her family’s wishes. The former “Glee” actress was emotional during her admission, but has become a poster girl for leading an honest life.
9. Matt Dallas – The former “Kyle XY” actor came out by which of a big wedding announcement to his partner. Matt tweeted a photo of his fiancé, Blue Hamilton, an indie musician.
10. Ben Whishaw – Ben not only came out, but also revealed he’s been married for a year now. The 32-year-old said in a statement, via his rep, that Ben “has never hidden his sexuality, but like many actors he prefers not to discuss his family or life outside of his work.”
Related: Did You Know These 20 Stars Are Gay?