Jessica Simpson. biography
Jessica Ann Simpson was born on July 10, 1980, in Abilene, Texas and first matured her vocals singing in her local Baptist church choir. Despite a failed attempt to join The Mickey Mouse Club at age 12, Jessica pushed forward by signing to a small record label.
To help jumpstart her career, Joe Simpson acted as Jessica’s manager and aided in securing a contract with Sony, leading to tour spots alongside popular boy group throughout the late 1990s.
Featuring the hit single “I Wanna Love You Forever,” Jessica’s first album Sweet Kisses (1999) debuted at number 4 on the Billboard 200 chart with first-week sales of 65,000 copies. Her second album Irresistible (2001) found similar success, debuting at number 6 on the Billboard 200 and being certified Gold.
In 2003, Jessica released her third studio album In This Skin, which featured the hit single “Take My Breath Away.” Her fifth album A Public Affair (2006) later debuted at number 5 on the Billboard 200.
Also around this time, Jessica made her acting debut in That ‘70s Show (2002-2003) prior to landing her first leading role opposite Dane Cook in Employee of the Month (2006)
Jessica gained addition fame when she and her then-husband Nick Lachey starred in the reality show Newlyweds (2003-2005). Although their marriage did not last, her head-scratching comments on the show further increased her popularity.
The rising star went on to release her top 5 Billboard album Do You Know (2008) and her Christmas album Happy Christmas (2010) prior to joining the NBC reality series Fashion Show as a mentor in 2011. Later that year, Jessica launched the Jessica Simpson Collection (JSC), a line of shoes and handbags.
Did You Know…
- Jessica is insecure about having short legs.
- Jessica's most memorable gift she's ever received was her pup, Daisy.
- Jessica was only 14 years old when she released her first album.
- She is a natural brunette.
- Jessica's favorite actor is Brad Pitt.
- Jessica's favorite book is Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks.
- After Newlyweds began airing, Jessica's album sales skyrocketed.
- Jessica turned down a part in Coyote Ugly.
- Jessica's friends call her "Jess" for short.
- Pretty Woman is Jessica's all-time favorite movie.