Elijah Wood. biography
Elijah Wood is an American actor most recognized for his portrayal of Frodo Baggins in Peter Jackson’s blockbuster film trilogy Lord of the Rings (2001-03) as well as the prequel trilogy The Hobbit (2012). He is also known for playing Ryan in the FX television comedy Wilfred (2011).
Born Elijah Jordan Wood on January 28, 1981, in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Wood’s talent for performing was visible at an early age. Noticing Wood’s skills, his mother took him to an International Modeling and Talent Association convention in Los Angeles, which led to small television roles and a quick appearance in Back to the Future Part II (1989).
Wood’s made his first major film appearance in Avalon (1990) followed by a starring role in Paradise (1991). He continued bulking up his acting resume with a role opposite child actor star Macaulay Culkin in The Good Son (1993) and a financially rewarding role in North (1994).
Wood first gained popularity as an established performer with his critically acclaimed performance as Frodo Baggins in Lord of the Rings trilogy (2001- 2003), an epic adventure film based on the series by J.R.R Tolkien. Wood first heard about the production while filming the horror-flick The Faculty (1998) and instantly knew he had to seize this role of a lifetime. His audition was filmed, shot, and cut from different angles by his personal friend, Director George Huang. After director Peter Jackson received the audition tape in New Zealand, Wood had the role.
Wood’s other films include, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004), starring Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet, Green Street Hooligans (2005), Everything It Illuminated (2005) and Sin City (2005) as a mute sociopath. His voice performances include Happy Feet (2006), 9 (2009), Robot Chicken (2005), as well as the television series American Dad! (2005).
His most recent projects include, the thriller Grand Piano (2013) with John Cusack, the crime thriller Open Windows (2013) and the comedy Cooties (2014).
Elijah Wood Girlfriend & Dating History Timeline
2003 – 2003
Wood and German actress Franka Potente co-starred in 2003’s Try Seventeen. Since Wood is known for keeping his personal life on the down low, their relationship was never confirmed.
2005 – September 2010
Wood and musician Pamela Racine first caught each other’s attention while shooting Everything Is Illuminated (2005). According to sources, the two broke up in September 2010 due to Wood’s issues with commitment.
Is Elijah Wood Gay?
Elijah Wood has no problem facing the gay music and addressing the gay rumors that seem to gravitate towards him. He even enjoys going online and finding altered photos of him in scandalous positions with men.
“There’s one that’s called elijahwood is very very gay, which is actually a personal favorite of mine, it’s absolutely hilarious,” Wood said, reports World Entertainment News Network. “It’s this kind of joke Web site that maintains that they have proof that I am very, very gay in various photographs — photographic evidence (of me) holding hands with a male.”
While Wood is aware of the photos lack of authenticity, he admits that the work looks very realistic, leading the public to think they are actually real.
“I was actually at a film festival once... and this fan came up with a gift... I open the gift in front of all these people that I’m talking to and it happens to be a photo from one of these Web sites of me and [LOTR co-star] Dominic Monaghan making sweet love,” Wood explains.” If you didn’t know any better, it kinda looks real. These people have a lot of time on their hands and my hat’s off (to them) because it’s very good work.”
Did You Know . . .
- Played Ad-Rock in Beastie Boy’s music video for Fight for Your Right Revisited (2011)
- Founded Simian Records and released its first album, New Magnetic Wonder by The Apples in Stereo in 2007.
- He is the older brother of actress Hannah Wood.
- Dressed up and rode on a float as the god of wine and mirth to head the Bacchus 2004 parade in New Orleans, Louisiana, for Mardi Gras in February, 2004. He returned the following two years.
- In the original The Lord of the Rings book, Frodo is 50 years old when he leaves Bag End, which makes him the oldest of the four lead hobbits. In actuality, Wood is the youngest of the four actors.
- Loves to listen to The Hives.
- Favorite movie is Harvey (1950).
- Godzilla (1998) is his least favorite movie.
- Turk E. Krause from the band 'Molly Nova and the Hawk' is his uncle.
- Each of the nine Fellowship members got a tattoo of the number nine written in Elvish . Wood’s tattoo is on his pelvic bone on the right side.
- Was injured under his eyebrow during the filming of Green Street Hooligans (2005) (aka "The Yank), leaving a visible scar.
- Frequently attends the popular annual gaming convention E3 (Electronic Entertainment Exposition) in Los Angeles convention center.
- Favorite actors are Emma Thompson and Tim Roth.
- Was number 75 on vh1's "100 Greatest Kid Stars."
- Roger Ebert called him "The most talented actor in his age group in Hollywood history.".
- Was ranked #16 in E's “50 Cutest Child Stars All Grown Up.” (2005)
- His family owned a deli, which they sold so they could move to California.
- Was ranked #2 on Entertainment Weekly's “30 Under 30” actors list. (2008)
- Real-life fan of "West Ham United", the team he played a fan of in Green Street Hooligans (2005). Other fans include Danny Dyer, Ray Winstone and Matt Damon.
- Lives in Venice Beach, California.
- He is of English, German, Austrian, and Danish descent.
- First person to ever cross Southern Africa's Victoria Falls by rope.
- Melissa Joan Hart wanted Wood to play the male lead in Drive Me Crazy (1999) but she was told that he looked too young next to her, and the role went to Adrian Grenier.
- Parents' names are Warren and Debbie Wood.
- Elijah has an older brother, Zack Wood (b. 1974), who works in video games, and a younger sister, Hannah Wood (born 7th October 1983).
- Presented at Academy Awards in place of Macaulay Culkin.
- He was the first recipient of the NATO/ShoWest Young Star of the Year Award.
- His favorite band Smashing Pumpkins.
- Inherited one of two prop rings used in "Lord of the Rings." The other went to Andy Serkis, who played Gollum.
- He plays piano.
- As of December 2003, Elijah lived in a New York apartment with his sister Hannah Wood but moved back into his mother’s guesthouse in Santa Monica, California. Sources say he couldn’t condone the rent since he barely spent time there.
- To dial back Wood’s excessive energy, his mother made him become a child model.
- Admits to owning thousands of CDs in many musical genres, because he loves music so much.
- Two of his favorite books are "The Hobbit" and "The Hunchback of Notre Dame."
- He regards Frodo Baggins as his best role.
- He’s the first member of the official "Lord of the Rings" fan club.
- He professionally studies singing.
- Suffered acute appendicitis, resulting in a brief hospitalization [August 2003].