Although drugs and a crack pipe were found near DJ AM's body at the time of his death, authorities have reportedly ruled out suicide and believe it was a case of accidental overdose instead.
AM, who was reportedly clean and sober for nine year, had recently developed a dependency to Xanax and other benzodiazepines (anxiety medication) as a direct result of the plane crash a year ago.
According to sources at TMZ, AM's doctors prescribed Xanax to him to help him overcome his fear of flying--something he had to do frequently for work.
But unfortunately the benzodiazepines triggered a relapse into addiction and he began to overuse them. It didn't help that he was also using crack cocaine. The combination of the cocaine and the benzo's became a lethal cocktail.
TMZ also reports that the alleged overdose had "absolutely nothing to do with his recent breakup."
It's so tragic that he survived a plane crash but his addiction to the medication from the crash is what ultimately took his life.