Conan O'Brien has been hush hush about his feelings towards fellow late night host Jay Leno since he stole back his show from him. But he’s finally speaking up about the controversial switcheroo that left O’Brien without a network home for several months.
Conan O'Brien Moving to TBS
In an interview that will air on Sunday’s 60 Minutes, Conan says of Leno, "He went and took that show back, and I think in a similar situation, if roles had been reversed, I know -- I know me, I wouldn't have done that. If I had surrendered The Tonight Show and handed it over to somebody publicly and wished them well -- and then ... six months later. But that's me, you know. Everyone's got their own, you know, way of doing things."
He says he would have "done something else, go someplace else. I mean, that's just me.”
O’Brien admits he never felt the love from NBC. He says he thought to himself, “I think this relationship is going be toxic and maybe we just need to go our separate ways. That's really how it felt to me ... and I started to feel that I'm not sure these people even really want me here ... I can't do it [anymore]."
Well, at least things worked out for the best in the long run. Conan can finally settle in this fall on TBS when he gets his new show there. But we agree that the way he was treated throughout the process was pretty bad.