Christina Aguilera. biography
Christina Aguilera was born on December 18, 1980, in Staten Island, New York and showed her vocals were meant for greatness when she finished in second place on Star Search (1990).
Three years later, the young singer auditioned and assumed the role of a Mouseketeer in The New Mickey Mouse Club (1993-1995) alongside Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake.
In 1998, the aspiring singer nailed her audition to sing “Reflection” off the soundtrack of Mulan in part of her ability to hit high notes effortlessly, resulting in a recording contract with RCA Records.
The following year, Christina took the music industry by storm when her self-titled album debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 chart while its lead singles “Genie in a Bottle” and “What a Girl Wants” dominated the airwaves. Her powerful vocals and catchy hooks later earned her the 2000 Grammy Award for Best New Artist, beating out her pop rival Britney Spears by a landslide.
Christina then expanded her musical reach with the release of his first Spanish-language album Mi Reflejo (2000) for which she won the World Music Award for the Best-selling Latin Female Artist. The following year, she joined forces with Pink, Mya and Lil’ Kim to record “Lady Marmalade” off the Moulin Rouge! (2001) soundtrack and earned yet another Grammy for Best Pop Collaboration.
In 2002, Christina switched gears and focused on women’s right to have control and power in her album Stripped. Despite critics calling the album overly sexual, it went on to sell over 4 million copies with the help of its leading singles “Beautiful” and “Dirty.”
Four years later, Christina found additional success when her third album Back to Basics debuted at number one on the Billboard 200. Her next album Bionic (2010), however, failed to meet her last album’s success.
The following year, she bounced back when she became a judge on The Voice (2011-2012) prior to releasing her seventh studio album Lotus (2012).
Aside from singing, Christina made her acting debut in the musical drama Burlesque (2010) alongside Cher as well as a cameo appearance in the comedy Get Him to the Greek (2010).
Did You Know…
- Christina’s father was physically and emotionally abusive and she has ruled out any chance to reunite with him.
- As a child, she was known as "the little girl with the big voice".
- Her first major role in entertainment came in 1993 when she joined the Disney Channel's variety show The New Mickey Mouse Club with: Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, Ryan Gosling, JC Chasez and Keri Russell, who are now famous.
- Christina dated Puerto Rican-born dancer Jorge Santos for two years until the relationship ended in September 2001.
- In September 2007, it was revealed that Christina had been blacklisted by famed celebrity photographer David LaChappelle, after he declared her too difficult to work with.
- Christina dyed her hair black in 2003 because she believed that it gave her a more mature look.
- When she was a kid, Christina sang the National Anthem at many sport games.
- In 1988, Christina was on Star Search but lost.
- Christina wrote the song I'm OK from her Stripped album about her experiences with being an abused child. The song was dedicated to her father, to let him know that she is OK now, regardless of his abuse.
- Some of Christina's nicknames are Chrissy, X-Tina, and Christi.
- Christina has two Papillion dogs named Stinky and Chewy.
- Christina's favorite colors are turquoise and purple.