Celebrities, Politicians and members of the media got together last night in Washington D.C. for the annual White House Correspondents’ dinner. As host Jimmy Kimmel put it: “Everything that is wrong with America is here in this room.”
The hilarious comedian did a good job of keeping the room entertained. He had a few funny secret service jokes he shared with the room but told President Barack Obama, "I know you won't be able to laugh at my jokes about the Secret Service. Please cover your ears, if that's physically possible." I nearly cried from laughter for that one.
First Lady Michelle Obama looked lovely in a Naeem Khan paisley organza ball gown from the Fall/Winter 2011 collection sitting next to Barack and Jimmy. She got a good laugh out of Jimmy’s jokes about how she’s starving Barack with carrots. Jimmy even joked that he’s terrified of eating his dessert so he just left it untouched.
Obama started his monologue by poking fun at his "open mic" controversy with Russian President Dmitri Medvedev in March. "Seriously guys, what am I doing here?" Obama joked backstage as he pretended to be unaware that the mic was on. "I'm the president of the United States and I'm opening for Jimmy Kimmel? I have the nuclear codes. Why am I telling knock-knock jokes to Kim Kardashian? Why is she famous anyway? That's it. Next year, we send Biden."
Other recaps included: Rick Santorum refusing to pose for a photo with Lindsay Lohan but asking her to pose for him. So creepy.
Here are the top 10 funniest jokes Jimmy told last night via Politico:
10. Jimmy Kimmel to New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie: "I think you're misunderstanding New Jersey's slogan. It's not the Olive Garden state."
9. "Where are the CNN tables? Are the CNN tables real tables or virtual tables?"
8. "Last week we learned that the president's two favorite steaks are: ribeye and seeing-eye."
7. "They say diplomacy is a matter of carrot and sticks, and since Michelle Obama got to the White House — so is dinner."
6. "If you told me when I was a kid I would be standing on a dais with President Barack Obama, I would have said, 'The president's name is Barack Obama?'"
5. "Remember when the country rallied around you in hopes of a better tomorrow? That was hilarious."
4. Kimmel: “There’s a term for guys like President Obama. Probably not two terms.”
3. "Sully, will you do us a favor? Will you drive Lindsay Lohan home? Just make sure you don't run into a goose, and make sure it isn't a gray goose"
2. To Obama: "I know you won't be able to laugh at my jokes about the Secret Service. Please cover your ears, if that's physically possible."
1. Kimmel on Obama’s thinness: “This is how you know the country’s in bad shape. The president is starving. North Korea is sending him food aid.”
Bonus one from President Obama: “What is the difference between a hockey mom and a pitbull? A pitbull is delicious.”
Jimmy Kimmel at 2012 White House Correspondents’ Dinner
Barack Obama at 2012 White House Correspondents’ Dinner