Barack Obama. biography
United States Senator and Presidential candidate Barack Obama was born on August 4, 1961 in Honolulu, Hawaii. His mother was a white woman from Kansas and his father was a black man from Kenya. Obama earned a law degree from Harvard and became a community organizer in Chicago. He was elected to the Illinois State Senate in 1996.
Obama was an outspoken critic of the Iraq war. He was elected to the United State Senate in 2004. Just four years later, Obama is the presumptive nominee of the Democratic Party for the 2008 presidential election and is on course to be the first African-American president in U.S. history.
Did you know…
- He likes to play basketball and poker.
- Won a Grammy for Best Spoken Word Album in 2006.
- He was the first African-American president of Harvard Law Review.
- He attended Occidental College in California for two years.
- He is left-handed.
- He is the only African-American member of the U.S. Senate.
- He quit smoking before the start of his presidential campaign.