The Avengers is going where no man has gone before, well except James Cameron. The film is poised to make $600 million at the domestic box office today, making it the third film ever to reach that milestone, right after James Cameron's Avatar and Titanic.
The flick opened in North America on May 4 and made $207.4 million in its opening weekend alone!
The superhero flick has made an estimated $1.44 billion in global totals.
Here are some of its accolades. One of 12 films to have grossed $1 billion at the global box office. It’s one of five billion dollar Disney films - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest, Alice in Wonderland, Toy Story 3, and Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.
The Avengers also set the industry record for second weekend record ($103 million), fastest film to reach $200 million (3 days), $300 million (9 days), $400 million (14 days), and $500 million (23 days).
The Top 10 Grossing Movies Of All Time Domestically
1. Avatar: $760.5 million
2. Titanic: $658.7 million
3. The Avengers: $600 million (estimated)
4. The Dark Knight: $533.3 million
5. Star Wars: Episode I—The Phantom Menace: $474.5 million
6. Star Wars: $461 million
7. Shrek 2: $441.2 million
8. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial: $435.1 million
9. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, $423.3 million
10. The Lion King: $422.8 million