"Avatar" crushed its rivals at the New Year holiday weekend boxoffice in North America becoming the second-biggest movie ever, according to data released Sunday.
After just 3 weeks the movie has already made $352 million dollars in the US. James Cameron's science-fiction epic on Sunday became only the fifth movie in history to gross more than $1 billion worldwide!
"This is like a freight train out of control," Fox distribution executive Bert Livingston said. "It just keeps on going."
The movie was reportedly the most expensive film ever made, with a budget of at least $300 million, but it looks like James Cameron's hit is paying off big time!
Check out the top ten movies from the January 1-3 weekend:
1. Avatar: $68.3 million
2. Sherlock Holmes: $38.3 million
3. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel: $36.6 million
4. It's Complicated: $18.7 million
5. The Blind Side: $12.6 million
6. Up in the Air: $11.3 million
7. The Princess and the Frog: $10 million
8. Did You Hear About the Morgans?: $5.2 million
9. Nine: $4.2 million
10. Invictus: $4.1 million