Avatar finished out its opening weekend with much bigger numbers than expected. According to Variety the James Cameron flick scored $77.3 million, securing the best December debut at the domestic box office.
The first set of numbers that came in stated that the movie had only made $73 million from Friday to Sunday, but it was re-calculated this morning. Avatar beat out the previous December sinner, I Am Legend, which made $77.2 in its opening weekend.
Fox insiders think the numbers could have been even bigger on Friday and Saturday if it weren’t for the huge blizzard that kept most of the East Coast indoors. But overseas, the film made $159.2 million, making it the best global debut ever for a non-sequel and the sixth best international bow ever.
Here are the top ten movies from the December 18-2- weekend:
1. Avatar: $73 million
2. The Princess and the Frog: $12.2 million
3. The Blind Side: $10 million
4. Did You Hear About the Morgans?: $7 million
5. The Twilight Saga: New Moon: $4.3 million
6. Invictus: $4.1 million
7. Disney's A Christmas Carol: $3.4 million
8. Up in the Air: $3.1 million
9. Brothers: $2.6 million
10. Old Dogs: $2.2 million