Top O' the mornin’ to ya, govnah! British actors flock to Hollywood by the dozens and effortlessly pull off American accents (well, not you Robert Pattinson in Twilight) but when an American actor tries to do a British accent, it’s usually a weird hybrid of Mary Poppins and the starving kid in “Oliver.”
Here are our favorite American actors doing REALLY BAD British accents.
7. Anne Hathaway in One Day – Anne Hathaway is a Golden Globe winner, but let’s be real, her accent in the romance drama One Day ranges from Kate Middleton to Madonna to Keira Knightley-in-a-period-piece. It’s all over the place.
6. Jake Gyllenhaal in Prince of Persia – Jake Gyllenhaal spent most of this abysmal movie fighting and grunting, but when he did talk, it sounded fine. But what do we know, we thought Lady Gaga’s voice WAS British. That being said Jake joked that his co-star corrected his accent “every 5 seconds.” Jake said that for the first few weeks of filming, his accent was “horrible.”
5. Mischa Barton in St. Trinian’s – Mischa attempted a Brit accent in this random movie called “St. Trinian's” where she played a prep-school girl. Each second is a different accent. American. English. Californian? English royalty? American south? Irish? This performance is so fabulously bad.
4. Keanu Reeves in Dracula – Keanu Reeves has never been praised for his acting, but this British accent is like a high school drama class reading of “Wuthering Heights.” We could watch Keanu do a bad British accent all day, this is comedy gold.
3. Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta – You have to fast forward a bit to get to the accent-ing. Natalie Portman is doing “Jane Eyre” here. It’s so royal and proper and out of place, it’s almost SOO BRITISH it’s not even real. Do you know what we mean?
2. Josh Hartnett in Blow Dry – We’ve never heard of this movie, but after hearing this strange Irish/British/Cockney accent from Josh Hartnett, it needs to be in our Netflix queue YESTERDAY. One harsh film review said, “Every time he opens his mouth the picture grinds to a sudden halt, as both he and the audience grapple with a torturous hybrid of Yorkshire, Geordie, California, Oxbridge and Irish accents.”
1. Don Cheadle in Ocean's 13 – We didn’t even know that Don Cheadle was supposed to be British in Ocean’s 13 until just this moment. The thing with his accent is that he only puts the accent on the last word of every sentence. It’s very bad.