NAME:Amy Winehouse BIRTH DATE:September 14, 1983 (Age: 28) PLACE OF BIRTH:Enfield, London
At age ten, she founded a rap group called Sweet ‘n’ Sour. By 16, she was singing professionally and had her demo tape sent to an A&R person by singer Tyler James. She signed to her current record label Island/Universal under 19 Management. Winehouse hired band Dap-Kings, Sharon Jones’s longtime band, to back her up in the studio and on tour.
Winehouse’s debut album Frank was released on October 20, 2003. The album topped the UK album charts in 2004. It was also nominated for BRIT Awards in the categories of “British Female Solo Artist” and “British Urban Act.” Her second album Back to Black went to number one on the UK Albums Chart. It was number seven on the Billboard 200. The album featured her hit “Rehab.” The second single from the album was “You Know I’m No Good.” Back to Black was released in the US in March 2007, with “You Know I’m No Good” as its lead single. After her 2007 MTV Movie Awards, “Rehab” rose to number 10 on the Billboard 100. At the 2007 BRIT Awards, she performed “Rehab” and won the Best British Female Artist award. Songwriter and Producer P*Nut settled a claim for copyright infringement over Winehouse’s song “He Can Only Hold Her.” In May 2007, she married Blake Fielder-Civil in Miami, Florida. In August, they both spent about five days in rehab. During this period, she canceled many shows due to exhaustion or ill health. Winehouse and her husband were arrested for the possession of marijuana in Norway on October 27. Winehouse has admitted to eating disorders and self harm due to insecurities. Her lifestyle has built a concern for her friends and family. Amy passed away on July 23, 2011. Two ambulances were called to Amy's London home in Camden, London. Shortly afterward, the Metropolitan Police confirmed her death. She was only 27 years old.
Did you know...
- While performing at a concert in Burmingham England in November 2007, Amy was booed by the audience, with others walking out in protest to her drunken state.
- Prior to the 2007 MTV Europe Music Awards, Amy trashed her hotel room in Berlin by throwing furniture and spaghetti at the walls. It was reported that damages cost thousands of dollars worth.
- In October 2007 it was revealed that Prince had asked Amy to perform a duet with him for his next album.
- In the summer of 2007, her song You Know I'm No Good was incorporated into ads for AMC's T.V. drama, Mad Men.
- In August 2007, Amy embarked on a three-day bender that resulted in her being rushed to a London hospital. She was given an emergency adrenaline shot and had her stomach pumped due to a drug over-dose.
- Amy announced she had been approached by one of the producers of the James Bond movies to sing the main theme of Bond 22.