It's been a little over three months since Amy Winehouse's untimely death, and we're now finding out that the singer had consumed a "very large quantity of alcohol" before she died.
Coroner Suzanne Greenaway officially gave a verdict of "death by misadventure," adding that Winehouse voluntarily consumed alcohol and risked the consequences. The coroner told the inquest that Amy had 416mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood. The driving limit is 80mg, which makes Winehouse more than five times over the legal limit. She downed a large amount of vodka.
The coroner further reports that she was dry for three weeks prior and the binge caused her to be poisoned by the alcohol.
Amy was found in bed in her north London home on July 23. It was there that police found three bottles of Vodka—two larges ones and a smaller one. The overwhelming amount of alcohol in her system could've possibly stopped her breathing, sending her into a coma.
A pathologist who performed the post-mortem added that at 200mg, someone would lose control of their reflexes, and 350mg was considered fatal.
Dr. Christina Romete, Amy's GP, had been treating the star for years. Amy would kick her habit for weeks, and then go back into it for another few weeks.
"The advice I had given to Amy over a long period of time was verbal and in written form about all the effects alcohol can have on the system," Romete explained. "…including respiratory depression and death, heart problems, fertility problems and liver problems."
Because of her alcohol abuse problem, Winehouse was taking medication to control her withdrawal symptoms. Last year, her progress was reviewed by both a psychologist and psychiatrist.
"She had her own way and was very determined to do everything her own way," said Dr Romete."Including any form of therapy. She had very strict views. 'During the period of July she was abstinent but started drinking alcohol on July 20 - it was confirmed to me by her security guard."
The doctor also adds that Amy was "looking forward to the future," and the night before she died, she said she didn’t know if she was going to stop drinking but "she did not want to die."